November Meeting Minutes

  • Introductions - Everyone
  • Guild Notes - Jude
    • Christine Anderson is the new owner of Maryland Homebrew.
    • The Guild is registering as a 501(c)(7).  Their members will be the members of all the clubs that pay their annual guild dues.  Historically, Baltibrew has paid their guild dues in cash.
    • The Guild Holiday Party is Saturday, December 2nd at Heavy Seas.
    • Saturday, December 9th at 9AM, DuClaw is hosting a collaboration brew with the guild on their production system.  All guild members are welcome to attend.
    • Portions of that beer will be put into 4 firkins and flavored.  They will be served at the Guild's 20th Anniversary Party at DuClaw on Saturday, January 20th.  Ticket logistics are yet to be finalized.
  • Financial/Membership Update - Greg
    • Paperwork for 501(c)(7) is submitted.
    • Pay your dues.
  • Group Brew/Cider Recap - Jacob
    • The cider pickup was well attended and Jacob has a telephone number to call to organize additional buys.
    • There is interest in getting a pressing of Gold Rush apple cider from several members.  Jacob will reach out to Weber's.  Watch the listserve for additional information.
    • Jacob will ping Nick to see if he is interested in hosting the January Group Brew, as that has become somewhat of a tradition.
    • In a previous meeting, Brandon indicated DuClaw may be interested in hosting another group brew on their pilot system.  We will follow up.
  • Social Happenings - per Detter
  • Christmas Party - Kris
    • The December meeting is traditionally a pot-luck dinner.  This year the third Thursday of Decmber falls on the 21st, which is a busy time of the month for many members.  The club discussed options for changing the date/venue/format.
    • A motion was made(Kris) to move the date of the December meeting forward one week to Thursday, December the 14th.  The vote carried.  The club indicated their preference for it to remain a pot luck.
    • Ciaran will follow up to confirm if the store is available.  If a venue change is needed that information will be announced via the listserve.
    • We will coordinate items using a Google spreadsheet on the listserve.  Reminder, we will need volunteers to ensure we leave the shop clean.
  • Announcements
    • The 2018 term for officers begins in February.  Please consider if you are interested in running for any of the club positions.  More information about positions, nominations, and voting processes are available on the club website.  The list of positions is:
      • Brewmaster
      • Chilibrew Task Czar
      • Education Czar
      • Free State Homebrew Guild Representative
      • Monthly Meeting Czar
      • Quartermaster
      • Secretary
      • Social Secretary
      • Treasurer
      • Website Coordinator
    • Barry is interested in making the Brew at the Brass Tap a series, possibly coordinating specials based on the style of the brew.  Scott will provide more information as the idea matures.
  • Ed Topic - Blair
    • Jon covered ideas and methods for testing variables while maintaining consistency across those tests, stressing the importance of sanitation.  A round table discussion followed.
  • Bottle Share!